Thursday, October 6, 2005

Take it and let it be

A major part of my life, and thought process, has been formed by reading. At an early age, it was reading books to take me away, since I am an only child and my mom worked till 9 or 10 every night and my dad was a raging alcoholic / sometimes addict. I was alone a lot.
A whole lot. I wouldn't trade that for the world, I wouldn't. I learned how to be alone and self reliant and creative (resilient in adulthood). I mean, my mom gave me all the love and care possible, but I was alone after school a lot. I was outside until it got dark, but after that I would read. And I read the best books. Bridge to Tarabethia (sp), The Chronicles Of Narnia - all of them, A Wrinkle in Time (these are some of the more popular ones), Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, Superfudge....anywayyyyyyy
I find myself in the same place at certain times in my life. Where I read to escape.
This past weekend I read The Dogs Of Babel. In less than 14 hours...It was a long long long car ride. And started the Oprah book ya see here.....A Million Little Pieces. I am almost done it now, as we speak. But I had to get it out. This book is amazing. I
t holds particular importance to me because of the subject matter, but on the whole, it's just great.
It's a memoir of this guys experience of rehab. The descriptors of his abuse are enough in itself...but it's his style, and what he says. Not a believer in the whole AA mode of treatment and 12 step programs.....he still comes out on top, from what I can tell (otherwise he wouldn't be writing a book)
It's good and there is much to be said about it, and I won't bore you on it, but it's moved me.
Ironically - today is National Depression Screening Day, and I did screenings on people for four hours today. I was sitting in a room and people would just stop in and do the screening, at a lull in the day I was reading the book and started to cry (the parent/child relationship thing got me bad) and someone came in.
"Hi, my name is Nate, and I am NOT NOT NOT depressed - simply crying because I am over joyed and gay, and that's what we do."

on that note, have a good day kids and go loose yourself in someone else's story - it feels good.

Nate

No comments: