Wednesday, January 10, 2007

you either got it....or you don't

The New Year.
It's like a bad dream, in some ways. I ain't being dramatic, and I won't garnish the story with glittery words and snappy phrases.
But it's gotten too wierd to ignore in the blog anymore.
As some of you may know, my father and i began talking on the phone in the last year. He was long since gone, a silenced character in the screen play that is my life. Somehow, we connected and he seemed ok. His body revolting against him after a lifetime of alcohol and severe drug abuse. The laundry list of disease and infection is endless. He left my life in 1995 to go to a rehab in Florida, and he never made it out of Florida, he still lives there. Fittingly he has lived with another man, who was in worse shape medically, than my father is. Bedridden and unable to wash himself.
I got a call last Tuesday - the man my father took care of for the last 10 years shot himself in the head, and my father found him. Clearly traumatized, my father cannot stop sobbing and weeping....he is a MESS. He has called me at 3:30 in the morning - for no apparent reason than to cry...which is fine, I do that for a living - listening to folks when they are going through bad bad times.....but it's taken a turn. I was out on Saturday (as you saw in some pictures) and he called me. His message said something to the effect that there was something else about him that I should know...........about he and the man he lived with...............Um? Hello?......

to be continued.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMeffingGAWDS!

I hope he makes it through and is he what you're wondering?