Friday, June 29, 2007

the jig is up, the news is out


I grew up with parents who had a good time. They were not too much unlike I am in my adulthood. They were hippies when the time was appropriate and found themselves in some place similar in the 80's. The clothes changed, the concept stayed the same. So anyway, i was one of those kids who went to parties with my parents...there was always about 5 other kids who tagged along with their parents too. Being an only child, i found these times to be most enjoyable. In all honesty, it was a reprieve from being alone, and i flourished in this environment.....I digress.
The focus of this entry was on my parents and how, although skewed, they raised me to appreciate a lot of things...having fun being one of those things. The reason i began to think about this was because of a sudden recurrence, or possible shift, in musical pull this week.
I've found myself scanning the Classic Rock Itunes Essentials.......and i'm loving it.
The very first record i had was a Styx album.....and i loved it...LOVED IT. Supertramp and ELO were favorites of my parents. Pat Benatar was my queen, and Heart was my mother's most played album.......But nothing, NOTHING, topped the Eagles. That was the bomb, for my mother anyway...(and let's face it, i emulate her) Later came early Melissa Etheridge, my mom just loved her, loved her....thats another story.
Anyway - those early years, growing up as a tiny adult in my parents world, was surrounded by music, and when i hear some of those songs now...well it's weird. I have memories that I haven't had in many years, a time when I was watching them all throw horseshoes and wonder when i might be able to play, or when i first started to play darts....(which i am very good at btw) its odd, very comforting, and yet very sad....days gone by, my youth-hood.
it was an early morning yesterday
i was up before the dawn
and i really have enjoyed my stay
but i must be movin on
like a king without a castle
and a queen without a thrown
i'm an early mornin lover
and imust be moving on
now i believe in what you say
is the undisputed truth
but i have to have things my own way
to keep me in my youth
GOODBYE STRANGER - Supertramp

2 comments:

Lattegrrl said...

I didn't discover Supertramp until high school, but then I listened to it over and over again. Love them! I have also been perusing music from the wee-early eighties recently. How do you feel about turning 35, huh??

Kealie Shay said...

Isn't it amazing how a song can bring back memories we thought were long gone, and some we WISHED were long gone?

*sigh* Now, you've got me thinking... time to go back through my music and reminisce.