Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Oh The Places You'll Go


I spent many hours staring at this book cover, many years ago. Superfudge was so BAD.
There was no stopping me. That Dr. Sleuth reading contest for Multiple Sclerosis, i wanted to win it so so badly. I read and read all summer long, and holy hell, did i ever read some of the most formative pages of my life. I was always stealing away to whatever world those books held. A Wrinkle in Time. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and it's follow up Superfudge.
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. ooppsss....was i gay then too? The Rats of Nimh. Where The Red Fern Grows. So many ways to live a life i didn't have.
I don;t recall if I won that contest, I'd sorta forgotten about it once i discovered the world of reading.
When we were in Bethany Beach for Memorial Day, we were waiting outside a restaurant one night. The man on the table next to us read A Wrinkle in Time to his kid. Touching. Simple.

Once again so distant from where i am, or was. Yet elicits the same gut feelings all over again.
A time when life seemed so very overwhelming, yet now looks like a walk in the park. I wonder if I'll look back at this day and see how overwhelmed i was, and didn't have to be ????

No comments: