Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Posted by Picasa
I can't really say why, i am going to write today, under Mr Kermit. He's been in my memory for a long long time, and i am feeling a bit introspective today, so ........its fitting that Kermit is my header.
for some reason I've been really thoughtful about my social connections lately. Specifically in Philadelphia. I know a lot of people here, over the years, have been part of many social circles and squares for that matter. And yet, have not felt completely and totally secure, or safe...or happy in one. I know diversity is good, in friends....in education and in so many other aspects of our lives. But where I've come from, places I've been, I've always had a core group of friends who i can always lean on. If not one specific person, who sorta grounded me. Here, it's almost as if there are too many acquaintances and not enough solidarity in my social connections.
Originally I had a tight group of friends here, and most, almost (the italics are for you Hil) all of them are now disbanded to other things, to no one person's fault.
Anyway, most recently i guess I've been sensitive to the fact that I've watched some people,in some of these circles, grow closer and closer, and began to wonder .."why haven't we become that close with them ??" That sort of thing. In the end I know sometimes people just click, or sometimes they don't. I feel a little alienated lately though. And I don't like it. I don't like it at all. No Bah Humbug, just...Hmpf ???? (scratches head and plays Sarah McLachlin songs)

1 comment:

HughE Dillon said...

I love your honesty. I too miss that centralized group of friends I had when I was growing up, and later, before I met my guy, in my early gay years. I have to say it's really hard to recreate it at this time in my life, its a lot of work, and complete dedication to calling people, really making a committement to get to know them and build that foundation to jump start most conversations. Keep trying, you'll get that connection eventually. I'm only partially there to commit myself to such things. SO a circle of friends will still have to wait. Although my partner insists we have game nights and dinner parties with friends in the new year, I think he's ready for those bonds - LOL