Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Long-ish

As a child in a small town, I was not known for my great athletic abilities. Nor was I known for being quiet. I was loud and drew a lot of attention, a skill which sometimes hurt, sometimes helped. Nevertheless, my behavior often brought a certain amount of trouble for me.
Anyway, the athletic thing was tough. I desperately wanted to fit into things, wanted to be a part of almost anything that was going on (being an only child with a nutty home life made activities a survival tool). I just wasn't good at anything. Running was one of those things. I was horrible and was often trying to get out of the annual 3 mile run we had HAD to do. Mostly sitting on the sideline with Dorinda B. or Marta B. The gals.
So sad. I cited asthma and knee pain a lot of the time, but it didn't always work with our gym teacher. And i was forced to run, or do a "make up run". I hated it so so much.
And it makes it so much more dramatic to talk about running the NYC marathon this year. I want to, very much. The thought of it makes me wanna puke, not only thinking about the length of the marathon, but because of the anxiety it produces. I've run 10 mile races and one half marathon. I know i'll be able to do it, but it's exhausting just thinking about it. It's a goal though. We have to put in for the lottery to get into it, but I am going to try my ass off. So, if you see me running, know that my goal is more than likely on my mind and send some good thoughts my way !!!

No comments: