Wednesday, November 23, 2005

me against the memory




Not sure when it started to happen, maybe when my taste buds became more sophisticated, or maybe when I became more interested in more worldly things, but it happened. At some point in my high school/college years I began to skip my helping of Orange stuff at Thanksgiving dinner. Of course i use the word "dinner" loosely, since we eat at 12:30 every year therefore making it an easy rationalization that we would eat more around 8pm because we were "hungry".
At any rate, my grandparents are going to be 80 this year. My grandmother's special treat when I was growing up was her "Orange Stuff". The Orange Stuff (it's official name) is some jello, cream cheese mixture. It was my delight, my joy, my heaven as a child. We lived 8 hours away from her and whenever we would go home to visit, I would demand the Orange Stuff.
Well at some point I stopped eating it.
Last night my mom described how she and g mom were going to make three pies and Orange Stuff on Wednesday Night.
I stopped.
Cause for pause.
Age is slowly creepin up on granny.
How many years will I be able to eat O. S.?
She continues to make it because we all loved it so. And still does so, without knowing that we don't really eat it anymore.
I became saddened. And then the sad turned to actualization
Tomorrow I will have the most enormous serving of Orange Stuff.
and then go back for seconds.
and tell her how much i love that shit.

Happy Thanksgiving Folks.
sit and ride.
Nate

No comments: